Nessie - Under the Boat?

Yesterday on the Loch Ness Monster blog I saw something about this Letter to the Editor sent to the National, a Scottish paper, on March 6th of this year, regarding an odd experience the sender had a Loch Ness many years ago...
(Sam Fentress, Wikipedia)

It reads:

I AM intrigued by Pat Kane's new piece on a new the pence coin bearing an image of Nessie (Here's to Nessie! Why we're all in thrall to Scotland's mystic monster, The National, March 3).
While not putting forward any theory, I did have a strange experience on Loch Ness. We were spending a holiday weekend with friends in Turriff, and were invited to visit another friend who had a cabin cruiser, the Rubicon, on Loch Ness. 
It was a lovely day and we cruised down the loch to Drumnadrochit, where we had lunch.
 In the late afternoon we cruised back and just off Foyers the boat's owner, Jim Hunter suddenly said: "We're running out of water!". He switched the depth sounder from fathoms to feet and it was as if we were approaching the shore, but we were in the middle of Loch Ness!
The ladies came out of the cabin to see what all the excitement was about, and we watched the depth sounder coming up and sticking until there was only eight feet under the keel. There were six adults, four of whom have since died, and three boys - I am talking at least 30 years ago.
In any event the eight feet depth lasted probably about five minutes, then the echo sounder went back to no recorded depth; as soon as this happened Jim opened the throttle and we departed the scene, sharpish.
We saw nothing, we heard nothing, and we discussed what had happened. My Turriff friend finally said: "There was something big underneath the boat."
I sent a letter to the Loch Ness Investigation Bureau in Foyers recounting this experience but I did not receive an acknowledgement; I know I have a copy somewhere in my loft as I came across it some years ago - I am not in the habit of throwing things out, as my wife continually reminds me.
Jim Lynch, Edinburgh

Is this account proof of a Nessie?

Probably not. There have been weird sonar contacts in the Loch before, but no monster ever found. When they did the big "Project Deepscan" and had a line of boats sonar-scan the Loch, they only had a few contacts the whole time. If the LMNs were real, there would need to be a population of large creatures in the lake, and many more would be expected.

Perhaps a large school of fish could have been the big "thing" on the sonar. The writer does say that it went to "no recorded depth" after the "thing" was gone, so maybe it was just the scanner?

I'd be interested to hear what you think...
 

Comments