My Favorite Cryptozoology Books of 2017

The past few years have had some great cryptozoology books, and 2017 was no different. We got lots of great titles from lots of great authors covering all sorts of subjects in the field. Below is a list of what were my favorite cryptozoology books from 2017. This list is a little shorter than they usually are, but I still found some great books last year.

*Note: To be included on the list, the book has to be published for the first time during that year, or reissued/republished in that year. This is also not strictly a cryptozoological list - books on paranormal and UFO related subjects can be included as well.*

MY FAVORITE CRYPTOZOOLOGY BOOKS OF 2017

1. Hunting Monsters: Cryptozoology and the Reality Behind the Myths  
By Darren Naish
Darren Naish's book is a perfect look at cryptozoology from a scientific point of view. It was published as a digital version in 2016 and the paperback version came out in 2017. He shows how many cryptozoologists are biased and their preconceived ideas inspire their views on the reality of cryptids such as Bigfoot, lake monsters and sea serpents. He also shows how popular discoveries throughout history have inspired tales of cryptids - like how plesiosaur discoveries in the mid-1800s started inspiring stories of plesiosaur-like sea serpents and sauropod dinosaur discoveries in the aryl 1900s inspired tales of Mokele-mbembe, as two examples. Anyone who is interested in cryptozoology and wants to take a realistic view at cryptid reports needs to read this book.


2. The Roswell UFO Conpsiracy
By Nick Redfern
This is a follow-up to Redfern's 2004 book Body Snatchers in the Desert. As you can figure out from the title, it is about the Roswell, New Mexico, UFO crash of July 1947. Redfern takes a look at the story and argues that whatever crashed at Roswell was not an alien spacecraft. And even though it most likely wasn't, the truth is no less shocking...

3. Shapeshifters: Morphing Monsters & Changing Cryptids
By Nick Redfern
Another great book by Nick Redfern, this time focusing more on cryptozoological and paranormal subjects. He takes a look at cases of all different types of shape shifters throughout history. I know some people who didn't necessarily enjoy this book, but I thought it was great. A good book to read late at night.

4. Beyond Boggy Creek: In Search of the Southern Sasquatch
By Lyle Blackburn
Since 2012, Lyle Blackburn has published four great books on cryptozoology. His most recent is this one, a follow up to his first book, The Beast of Boggy Creek (about Arkansas's Fouke Monster). While I like all of Blackburn's books, I didn't feel like this one was quite as good as his first Boggy Creek and Lizard Man, hence why it is not higher up on this list. But it is still a good read on Bigfoot in the Southern United States. And I do have to say that it probably has the coolest cover of the year!


5. Wood Knocks: Journal of Sasquatch Research, Vol. 2
By David Weatherly




6. Mothman: Evil Incarnate
By Loren Coleman
Loren Coleman has always been one of my favorite authors, so I was excited when I saw he had a new Mothman book coming out in December 2017. The only reason it is this far down on the list is because the actual book itself is very short. That's not saying its bad though; I thought it had some good information and it even had some stuff I hadn't heard before. If it were longer than it is it would be higher up.

7. 365 Days of UFOs
By Nick Redfern
Another book from Nick Redfern. This one was published very early in the year and focuses on UFO sightings for each day of the year. It's a good book, though some of the cases got a little repetitive once I was near the end of the book.





DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT

Immortality of the Gods
By Nick Redfern
This book is on ancient alien theories and how aliens could be connected to the human race. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad book; the subject matter just did not interest me. If you are someone who likes this book, that's great, it's just not a personal favorite of mine.





DISHONORABLE MENTION

Monsters Among Us: The Truth About a Hidden World You Never Knew
By Andrea McGann Keech
This was a rare example of a book I didn't like. Keech is on the skeptical side, which I don't mind, but is very biased and apparently didn't do much research as each chapter is only a few pages long. Not to mention that she always starts off with some made-up story that is usually a page or two long. The only thing good about it is the cover.


**********

There are also some books that I didn't get or haven't gotten yet that may be contenders for the list, such as…





If/when I get any of these, I may add them to this list.

*******

So, there are my favorite cryptozoology books of 2017. And please keep in mind, this is only my opinion of them, so if you didn't like one of the books I liked, or liked one I didn't, everything's totally OK. Let me know what your favorite crypto books of the year were in the comments!

And, it looks like 2018 is going to be a fantastic year for cryptozoology books…


*Though, I do have to say that the BEST book I read last year was this one:


Comments