Loch Ness Dorsal Fin

On August 22, Kate Powell took a picture of a dorsal fin. Why is that strange? Because it was taken at Loch Ness.

"I thought I saw something in the loch as we were walking along. I joked to the children, 'I've seen the monster.'" Powell said. "A couple of minutes later we sat down on a rock to eat our lunch and I took a picture, just because it was sunny. It was only later, when we went to a tearoom and I enlarged the picture that I noticed the fin."

She continued:

"I was very surprised and a bit confused. I showed the lady in the tearoom and said 'You're not going to believe this, it looks like a dolphin.'"
A dolphin in Loch Ness?

I can't recall any sightings of monsters in Loch Ness where the creature was reported to have a dorsal fin. If this really is a dolphin, how did it get into the Loch?

Tony Drummond saw something in the loch only a few days after Powell took her photo.

As he was boating near Fort Augustus, he spotted the creature.

"It did not break the surface and it was hard to tell its size but it was about 3.5 feet by two feet. A sort of oval coffee table size," he said. "It was moving, but not fast. It appeared about 15 meters away to the right. It was under the water with a bit of white in it. I have never seen anything like it in my life. But I will eat my woolly hat if its a dolphin. It could be a large salmon - I've seen them around 100lb in here."

Steve Feltham, "Nessie Hunter," says that the new photo is "completely unique and most bizarre."

He said:

"I think that the most plausible explanation is that a fishing vessel came through the Moray Firth and caught a bottle-nosed dolphin in its nets and thought 'let's dump it in Loch Ness' for a joke. I have met the lady who took it and she was not 'at it' at all. It is a unique photo in that it is very clear and in focus and clearly shows it is Loch Ness. That is rare. She showed it to me on her smartphone. It's not a fake. I think this photo will generate more debate than any photograph taken of Loch Ness in the past 50 years."

I guess we'll have to wait and see if there are any more reports of a dolphin in Loch Ness...

Comments